Wed, 30 Jul
° °
  • Firstline - TV3 New Zealand


    Weekdays 6am

  • 3 News - TV3 New Zealand

    3 News

    Nightly 6PM

  • Campbell Live - TV3 New Zealand

    Campbell Live

    Weekdays 7.00pm

  • 3rd Degree - TV3 New Zealand

    3rd Degree


  • The Paul Henry Show - TV3 New Zealand

    The Paul Henry Show

    Weekdays 10.30pm

  • Three 60 - TV3 New Zealand

    Three 60

    Sundays 9.30am

  • The Nation - TV3 New Zealand

    The Nation

    Sat 9:30am / Sun 10am

Commonwealth Games


3 years jail for McDonalds manslaughter

Wednesday 06 Jul 2011 1:22p.m.

3 years jail for McDonalds manslaughter

By Dave Goosselink

A 23-year-old Christchurch man has been sentenced to three years in prison, after the man he assaulted in a Dunedin McDonalds restaurant died as the result of a brain haemorrhage.

In the Dunedin High Court this morning, Matthew Bryce Larson admitted the unprovoked attack on 51-year-old Stephen Radnoty, in the early hours of March 12.

Larson had travelled from Christchurch to Dunedin for the birth of his son, and after an evening of celebrations visited the McDonalds Restaurant in George Street with friends at around 4.30am. 

The group allegedly got into an argument with Mr Radnoty and his friend while waiting for their orders inside the restaurant, although neither knew each other.

Larson claimed he responded to a comment by the victim by punching him with a single blow to the right side of the head.

Mr Radnoty fell backwards onto the floor, hitting his head heavily on the hard tiled floor. He was resuscitated at the scene by paramedics after his heart and breathing stopped, but didn't regain consciousness and died shortly after in hospital as a result of a brain haemorrhage.

Larson had 27 previous convictions, including one for violence, in which he assaulted a female, and five for excess breath alcohol offences.

Justice Chisholm accepted the violent attack was not premeditated but was not justified by the single comment. He blamed the incident on all too typical "alcohol-fuelled stupidity". He noted the defendant had previous issues with alcohol abuse.

Larson was sentenced by Justice Chisholm to three years in prison for the single charge of manslaughter, after taking into account the various aggravating and mitigating circumstances.

3 News

comments powered by Disqus
01-08-2014 12:00