Al-Qaida claims responsibility for Iraq killings
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 9:37p.m.
An al-Qaida affiliate group in Iraq has claimed responsibility for Monday's wave of attacks that killed 115 people across the country and wounded hundreds others.
In a statement posted Wednesday on a militant website, the Islamic State of Iraq said the "blessed foray" marked the beginning of a campaign it calls "Breaking the Walls," announced last week by the local insurgency's leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Al-Baghdadi said that his network's aim was to rebuild tribal alliances in order to make a comeback in Sunni areas from which it had retreated in 2007-2008.
The assaults, which mainly targeted security forces, made Monday the deadliest day in Iraq since May 10, 2010, when a string of nationwide attacks killed at least 119 people.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
Officials have revised the death toll down to 24, but warn it is likely to rise ...
At least 20 children are among the more than 90 reported dead so far in Moore, O...
Murray McCully has offered to send NZ soldiers to the Middle East if there's an ...
New Zealand's Mt Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary has been labelled as a 'gr...
Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy says New Zealand meat stalled at Chinese ...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.