An anti-royal protester who allegedly planned to throw a bucket of horse manure over Prince Charles and his wife Camilla has vowed to go on a hunger strike if he's jailed.
Sam Bracanov pleaded not guilty when he appeared in Auckland District Court earlier this month to a charge of preparing to commit an assault on the royal couple.
The 76-year-old, who opted to represent himself, reappeared in the same court on Tuesday before Community Magistrate Jan Holmes.
During his brief appearance - to set a date for his hearing next year - he told the court: "I knew why I done it and everything."
"I'm not afraid to do what is right."
He also said taxpayers' money used to pay for the royals to tour New Zealand from November 10-16 should have been used to build homes.
Outside court he told media he planned to go on a hunger strike if he was sent to jail.
"What I believe is that if they come on an expensive trip, let them (the royals) bloody pay."
"I'm a human being. If you want my dollar, then ask."
Following his first court appearance on November 13, the day after he was arrested, he told media of his unusual protest plan.
"I went to get a bag of horse manure for $2 and I make it liquid, like a porridge ..."
He said he chose this form of protest because he opposed the idea of the Prince of Wales being born into privilege.
On Tuesday bail was continued on the condition that he stay at least 500m away from the royal couple.
His defended hearing is set down for May 20 in Auckland District Court.