Cabinet to hold first meeting of 2013
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 5:52a.m.
Cabinet holds its first meeting of the year today with three new ministers at the table.
Nick Smith will be back, having served his time on the outside for an ACC conflict of interest issue which led to his resignation in March last year.
Auckland MP Nikki Kaye was promoted from the back bench in Tuesday's reshuffle and Simon Bridges has moved up from being a minister outside cabinet to take over the labour portfolio.
Two won't be there - Kate Wilkinson and Phil Heatley were sacked - and David Carter won't be in the Cabinet for much longer because he will be elected Parliament's new speaker on Tuesday.
Prime Minister John Key will take ministers through the Government's plans for the year and its legislative agenda.
He will wait until Friday, when he makes his state of the nation speech, to tell the country what those plans are.
Mr Key said at the weekend he wanted to move quickly on economic initiatives to create jobs because the unemployment level was unacceptable.
"We're going to have a sense of urgency about some of the things we're doing because we have to ensure New Zealanders have confidence that employment is moving forward," he said.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
23/01/2013 1:21:00 p.m.
Pull the other one key wrote:
@Sanbe: The jobs are out there? Ok, just received this two minutes ago: "Thank you for your application for the position of.... We regret to advise that, in this instance, your application has been unsuccessful". You want to know how many of these I've received? Hons degree + post grad diploma + good CV with experience + even offered to work for FREE for a trial period +++, and that was just for a part-time job after John Key killed the funding for the dept where I used to work! I have an injured wife (car crash) and four kids. This is the reality. Got it now?
23/01/2013 12:48:43 p.m.
Get real mate.
23/01/2013 9:58:11 a.m.
@PULL THE OTHER ONE,KEY. You do have access to a computer, so do yourself a favor and check out the world’s economy as well as the unemployment rates all over the world. If you get that far and understand what you are reading, you will see just how stupid your comments are regarding this government and the unemployment rates we are facing. The "Nana nation" is over and time for people like you to get a life and do things for yourself. The paying public of New Zealand are sick and tired of paying for the lazy takers. The jobs are out there for those who want to work and before you attack me and make your name "arse", I can tell you that I have strong ties with a fairly large employment agency and our record for finding applicants work over the past year is 98% successful. The longest turnaround time was 4 months. So keep blaming Mr Key because it is only you who looks stupid!
23/01/2013 8:24:20 a.m.
pull the other one, key wrote:
"he wanted to move quickly on economic initiatives to create jobs" Just code for more freebies for his mates in Hollywood, no doubt. Key doesn't care about ordinary kiwis - he has killed enough of their jobs, and then got Paula Bennett to hound them as well.
Three weeks ago, Winston Peters made a speech to Grey Power in Takapuna, entitle...
McDonald's workers striking will be a waste of time if a strike-breaking bill pa...
The NZTA is being accused of wasting taxpayer money, spending tens of thousands ...
Labour MPs are being called hypocrites for accepting Sky City's invitations to w...
Gerry Brownlee says the council is in a "very serious situation", but Mayor Bob ...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.