Charges against Occupy protesters dropped
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 6:55p.m.
Occupy Auckland protesters will not have to face court proceedings over their 104-day vigil at Aotea Square.
The anti-greed protesters were removed from the site in late January after Auckland Council's chief executive Doug McKay personally read trespass notices to them.
The council still had contempt of court proceedings against some of the protesters but its lawyer Ross Burns told Fairfax the proceedings have now been dropped.
He said there had been no trouble since the protesters were removed and it was felt it was time to put the issue to rest.
About 20 people were arrested when the protesters were evicted on January 26, including 11 for breaching the peace, six for trespass, one for wilful damage and one for assault.
Judge David Wilson ruled before Christmas that the occupation breached a council bylaw banning camping and building structures in a public space without a permit.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
Police had to physically push anti-poverty protestors back a...
A crew member of a cruise ship who was seriously injured abo...
Tonight comes the Budget announcement you didn't hear yester...
It's New Zealand Sign Language Week and it is hoped awarenes...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.