Charges withdrawn over grave attack
Mon, 05 Nov 2012 10:37a.m.
By 3 News online staff
Charges against a man accused of being involved with the desecration of Jewish graves at Auckland's oldest cemetery will be withdrawn at his next court appearance.
More than 20 headstones in Grafton were vandalised with anti-Semitic slogans and swastikas last month.
Auckland police say there is insufficient evidence to carry out a "robust" prosecution against Nathan Symington.
The charges will be withdrawn at his next court appearance. He had been charged with causing intentional damage to the grave stones.
Symington, 22, says he is innocent, and told reporters the charge was part of a police "witch hunt" against him.
“You guys are interviewing the wrong person,” Symington told 3 News last month. “I think it's disgusting that they would even say it. I'm Romanian, so Hitler f***ed up heaps of my people, and they're saying I did that shit. Hell no. It's the police that are disgusting. They need to be sorted out.”
The attack at the Grafton cemetery sparked outrage in the Jewish community. Each of the graves is more than 125 years old.
Prosecution of two other defendants aged 19 and 20 in relation to the graveyard vandalism will continue. They are due to appear in court on November 13.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
Tonight comes the Budget announcement you didn't hear yester...
The Police Commissioner Peter Marshall has threatened to dis...
There's been solid support from students here for the tough ...
Eventing legend Sir Mark Todd was one of a number of sports ...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.