Comment Moderation Guide
believes in freedom of speech and encourages robust debate in our comment section and on our Facebook page. We are also open to criticism of our stories and blogs, willing to listen and where possible to learn from our audience.
However, these comment boards are not an arena for personal abuse of 3 News staff or other browsers - they are a forum for intelligent debate and comment.
The following moderation rules apply to comments on the site. Comments that break these rules will not be published or could be removed at a later date if they are published in error. Moderation is necessary on a site like 3news.co.nz because we can be held legally responsible for all content published, we also want to encourage a place where people are free to expound an intelligent opinion without being persecuted or harassed.
1. No comments that seek to cause offence on the grounds of race, sex, sexuality, religion, age or ethinicity will be tolerated
2. No shouting. Hitting the caps lock does not make your message stand out or easier to read.
3. No personal abuse of 3 News staff or other browsers
4. Individuals who comment under a large variety of different usernames will not be published.
5. No incitement, encouragement or suggestions of violence towards others.
6. No comments that are obscene, offensive, pornographic, vulgar, profane, indecent or otherwise illegal
7. No comments that are defamatory in nature
8. No comments that seek to endorse a product or company
We are usually happy to post links to content that furthers a person's argument. However, links that go to content that do not fit with our comment moderation rules will not be permitted.
What we encourage:
1) Intelligent and lively debate
2) Constructive feedback on 3 News stories
3) Pointing out errors - if we have made a mistake we want to hear from you and will do our best to correct it.
4) Comments that bring more to the story (eg personal stories from the Christchurch earthquake would be a great example)
We retain the right and discretion (but not the obligation) to edit, delete, reject or remove any comment which you post or seek to post in the comments areas.
You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide licence to republish any material you submit to us, without limitation, in any format.
We retain the right and discretion to terminate your access to the comments areas if we believe you are abusing the services in any way, or have breached these terms and conditions.
You consent to our collecting and storing your email and IP address for security purposes.
Thanks - Chris Whitworth and the 3news.co.nz