Contaminated peas prompt food safety investigation
Mon, 06 Apr 2009 12:00a.m.
Humphrey Elton is one of half a dozen people who have found toxic Black Nightshade in a bag of Talley’s frozen peas and corn mix.
He had served the peas to his two young children - including four-year-old Molly before he realised what was in them.
Luckily they didn't eat the peas, but when he complained to Talley’s they assured him it wasn't a big deal.
“They said ‘oh this is a common agricultural weed, nothing to worry about’ and then they sent us a cheque for five dollars saying buy more Talley’s,” says Humphrey.
But Black Nightshade is a big deal, unlike Deadly Nightshade it's not fatal but if a child or baby consumes just a handful it can cause a severe reaction, including fever, vomiting and diarrhoea.
“There were almost as many nightshade as there were peas and so from the guy that was harvesting to the guy that was bagging to the guy that was freezing it, no one cared along the chain obviously,” says Humphrey.
That was last August, around the same time the New Zealand food safety authority received six complaints about Black Nightshade in Talley’s frozen peas. It was assured then that the problem had been dealt with but a similar incident last week has prompted the authority to investigate Talley’s.
“The difference this year is we're being reported larger proportions of contamination and from that point of view that makes us more concerned because it appears Talley’s systems are less in control than we thought they were,” says Geoff Allen of the NZ Food Safety Authority.
Talley’s refused an interview with 3 News but sent a statement saying it's recalled the batch of peas containing black nightshade and that all the reported incidences are from the same batch.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
7/04/2009 1:23:39 p.m.
Someone needs to ask these idiots at Tally's to advise us the Batch number as I am sure a lot of people have probably bought this product including me and could still have a store of it in our freezer's ??? How can they shirk their responsibility by not even bothering to appear on media !!!!
Video has emerged of what is perhaps China's worst scooter driver.
A stranded orca has been rescued from the Kaipara Harbour after commercial fishermen noticed it stuck on a sandbank.
32 months after the first earthquake, dozens of Christchurch residents are frustrated with the Earthquake Commission.
A Canadian singer has been left red-faced after mangling the anthem of her northern American neighbour at an international ice hockey tournament.
Since Anchor released their new milk bottles the company has been inundated with calls from angry consumers.
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.