Coroner to resume CTV inquiry
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:45p.m.
The coroner investigating the Canterbury Television building deaths has announced his hearing will resume at the end of October after a break of more than a year.
The three-week inquiry will be into all 115 who died in the building following the 2011 Christchurch earthquake but the emphasis would be on six of the victims who initially survived but could not be rescued, the Ministry of Justice said on Thursday.
They were Tamara Cvetanova, Jessie Redouble, Emmabelle Anoba, Ezra Medalle, Reah Sumalpong and Rika Hyuga.
Coroner Gordon Matenga adjourned the hearing in September last year so more evidence could be gathered.
No ruling has yet been released and the hearing will resume for two weeks from October 29 and then for another week at the beginning of December.
It is likely the hearing will look at the emergency services' response following the quake. Victims' relatives have been calling for such an inquiry.
Mr Matenga said his inquiry will not look at any of the matters before the royal commission of inquiry into the collapse of the building.
The commission is winding up its eight-week hearing into the building's construction and has said it will not look at emergency services' response to the disaster.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
A stranded orca has been rescued from the Kaipara Harbour af...
Viewers overwhelming voted yes to decriminalising soft drugs...
Anna Burns-Francis visited the suburb of Woolston where a ma...
Campbell Live looks at an initiative to get people walking a...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.