Fri, 25 Jul
° °
  • Firstline - TV3 New Zealand

    Firstline

    Weekdays 6am

  • 3 News - TV3 New Zealand

    3 News

    Nightly 6PM

  • Campbell Live - TV3 New Zealand

    Campbell Live

    Weekdays 7.00pm

  • 3rd Degree - TV3 New Zealand

    3rd Degree

    WEDNESDAYS 8.40PM

  • The Paul Henry Show - TV3 New Zealand

    The Paul Henry Show

    Weekdays 10.30pm

  • Three 60 - TV3 New Zealand

    Three 60

    Sundays 9.30am

  • The Nation - TV3 New Zealand

    The Nation

    Sat 9:30am / Sun 10am

Couple killed by carbon monoxide poisoning

Friday 31 Jul 2009 12:00a.m.

Couple killed by carbon monoxide poisoning
By Emma Jolliff

Police say a Taumarunui couple found dead in their bed are likely to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by using an outdoor patio gas heater that was inside the room.

They were found by their three young children.

Police say the deaths are not suspicious - just a tragedy and a warning for others.

The outdoor heater, which carried a warning, was found in the bedroom where the couple slept.

It is not the first time outdoor gas appliances have killed. Last year in Ruapuke, two men died in a cabin after they brought a charcoal barbecue into the hut for warmth.

Other cases include a Northland couple who died after leaving a gas cooker on in their caravan; three teenagers who died 12 years ago when they fell asleep in a car with a gas cooker on; and two Department of Conservation volunteers who used a gas cooker in their tent in the Chatham Islands.

The fire service says the heaters must not be used in confined spaces.

"This tragedy is a stark reminder to all New Zealanders that outdoor heating appliances should only be used outdoors and never indoors," says Alan Merry.

3 News
 
comments powered by Disqus