Dotcom's extradition hearing delayed
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:31a.m.
Kim Dotcom's extradition hearing has been put off until March next year, which Dotcom describes as ‘dirty delay tactics’.
The three-week extradition hearing had been due to get under way on August 6 at North Shore District Court.
However, the office for Dotcom's New Zealand-based defence lawyer, Paul Davison, told NZ Newswire the hearing has now been deferred until March 25.
Dotcom tweeted his feelings about the delay on Twitter this afternoon.
“Extradition hearing delayed til March. Dirty delay tactics by the US. They destroyed my business. Took all my assets. Time does the rest.”
He is upset about how he has been treated so far.
“The NZ government is refusing an NZ resident due process and a fair defense[sic]. Shame on you John Key for allowing this to happen. Shame on you.”
US authorities are trying to extradite Dotcom and three others to face racketeering, copyright and money laundering charges. They face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.
Last week, prosecutors acting on behalf of the US government appeared in the High Court to appeal a District Court ruling that Dotcom and his co-accused must be granted access to the evidence held against them for the extradition hearing.
The outcome of that appeal is still unknown.
Meanwhile, late last month, a High Court ruling declared the armed police raid on Dotcom's Auckland mansion in January illegal.
Justice Helen Winkelmann said the search warrants used were too broad and police exceeded their powers in seizing what they did.
She also said it was unlawful for copies of Dotcom's computer files to be taken by US authorities and New Zealand police should return copies to 38-year-old Dotcom.
Lawyer John Pike, acting on behalf of the US government, has indicated he may appeal Justice Winkelmann's ruling.
3 News / NZN
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
16/07/2012 8:59:40 a.m.
CHRIS, this applys with the International Law rules and regulations where Dotcom was granted a three year residency before his entitlement to a three year's New Zealand Citizenship and then up to six years to maintained his good behaviour before becoming a true KIWI HERO but with all the muddle up with the injustice movements that he may likely to walk free and that all depends on the US and the International LAW but taken this matters further can only cost dearly on Compensations..This National Government is costing New Zealand loads of money on damages since he was elected..
10/07/2012 6:35:03 p.m.
Mike, He doesn't have to comply with US law. He is a NZ citizen, therefore it is NZ law which governs his activities.
10/07/2012 6:27:17 p.m.
@Mike: But you see Kim Dotcom, only made the site to give us 'users of the web' to access files that we shared to others, plus it's not his fault that there's illegal stuff in there, it's people who uses the site to upload illegal stuff...
plus do you even know what act this about?
10/07/2012 4:12:31 p.m.
And nobody does dirty tactics like the king of dirtdotcom.Just ask any of those hit by his tactics in the EU, or anyone who has been the other side of copyright fraud which megaupload chose to ignore. The US legal system changed so the technicality that dotcom was using only worked till around 2007. Other internet companies have done much more than megaupload to comply with the newer legal rules of the US.
10/07/2012 4:09:30 p.m.
I agree with you also Norton.
10/07/2012 12:38:35 p.m.
i agree this is dirty delay tactics by the Chief justices
A stranded orca has been rescued from the Kaipara Harbour af...
Viewers overwhelming voted yes to decriminalising soft drugs...
Anna Burns-Francis visited the suburb of Woolston where a ma...
Campbell Live looks at an initiative to get people walking a...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.