Marriage equality 'about love'
Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:50a.m.
By 3 News online staff
The Campaign for Marriage Equality has released a new video asking New Zealanders to support equal marriage rights for same-sex couples.
The video features prominent New Zealanders including musicians Anika Moa, Hollie Smith and Boh Runga, Olympian Danyon Loader, and former Governor General Dame Catherine Tizard.
They discuss the importance of love, and their hope that all New Zealanders will be able to express their love through marriage.
The Government is currently hearing submissions on the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill, which if passed would allow same-sex marriages in New Zealand.
The Campaign for Marriage Equality is a coalition of more than 30 different groups in New Zealand who support the bill, including the youth wings of political parties Labour, National, the Greens, and ACT.
Watch the video.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
23/01/2013 6:00:13 p.m.
Greg, can you tell me why western conservative Christians oppose polygamy while giving assistance to African conservative Christians in Uganda who are antigay and polygamous?
8/12/2012 9:24:29 a.m.
I totally reject all the assertions made by ''pro marriage equality'' as a load of self serving lies.
7/12/2012 8:25:20 a.m.
A marriage of equality is odd, not the norm, most marriages are about power,money or social status. Just go through the internet dating profile wants of females who are single. A women only needs to say yes to a man.
Same sex marriages shouldnt be a problem for anyone else. How about polygamy, why should marriage just be between two people. A marriage is just a social contract.
6/12/2012 4:07:35 p.m.
Very good "Pro Marriage Equality" you've pretty much covered all bases. Just be aware that it's not good to lump all Christians in the same boat. There are some proper ones who agree wholeheartedly with you.
6/12/2012 4:02:17 p.m.
Linda Rapihana wrote:
We love the person we love and why does that make politicians nervous. We don't care who they marry why can they control the love of 2 people just because they are of the same sex...who they sleep with in the bonds of matrimony are no concern of ours so why make the choice for someone else JUST because they are of the same sex, why does that intimidate them ( the MP's). Is it something that makes them feel powerful with holding the control? Live and let live I don't ask what you do in your bedroom give same sex couples the same respect !!!
6/12/2012 3:52:46 p.m.
I cant believe in this day and age people oppose this, it just goes to show how small minded and cruel some people are. I dont even see why it is even a debate, it doesnt harm of affect anyone, and if people want to celebrate their love by commiting to one another what business is it of anyone else? As far as religion goes, as long as people are willing to not only believe but devote their lives to what can only be described as a myth then the human race is doomed to seperation and discrimination.
6/12/2012 12:38:13 p.m.
Fantastic! So great to see prominent people getting together for such a worthy cause :)
6/12/2012 12:16:31 p.m.
Pro marriage equality wrote:
Good video but sadly, anything on this subject brings out the scum in humanity. And the fact that people use it as an excuse to condemn same sex relationships in general goes to show how far some people in their emotional maturity & general intellect, have to go. 1980s & the Homosexual Law reforms are ancient history. Deal with it.
So I will anticipate their arguments & retort with the following:
1) The Church did not invent marriage - we did
2) The Church is irrelevant in a secular society
3) Irrespective of ones beliefs, any anti gay sentiment has its roots in a blind acceptance of indoctrination by a controlling Church
4) Biblical references to justify anti gay/marriage sentiment are wrong. The Old Testament was an ancient code written to separate the Israelites from the Palestinians and the New Testament refers to homosexuality in the context of rape of male slaves by the male heterosexual masters
5) If the Bible had any relevance then women should have their right to vote removed, cheating wives should be put to death, divorce should be illegal (punishable by death), we should be eating locusts, not mixing fibres etc etc etc. The list of crazy in the Bible is endless
6) so-called gay sex is not the monopoly of the LGBT community
7) Most pedophiles are heterosexual men - 80% of those who offend against boys identify themselves as hetero
8) marriage equality is not revolutionary. It is just next; marriage is no longer about property status & procreation. It is now about love, choice & mutual commitment where women can choose when & if they want to have kids & how many.
9) The marriage act is outdated - women can use contraceptives, work outside the home & get divorced
10) The Civil Union Act is separatist law in breach of basic human rights. It discriminates purely on the basis of sexual orientation.
11) We invented marriage, we can redefine it if we want.
12) Marriage equality has nothing to do with bestiality, incest or child abuse. LGBT are consenting adults
Viewers overwhelming voted yes to decriminalising soft drugs during TV3's nation...
A petition boasting more than 37,000 signatures against the use of animal testin...
The Nation reporter Torben Akel took a close look at her background and asked so...
A report by New Zealand's police watchdog into the Urewera terror raids has foun...
Calls are growing for the Auckland Council to rethink its plans for more intensi...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.