Feds dismiss charges against Swartz
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 6:45a.m.
Federal prosecutors in Boston have dismissed charges against internet freedom activist Aaron Swartz, who was found dead in his New York apartment last week.
US Attorney Carmen Ortiz and the lead prosecutor on the case, Assistant US Attorney Stephen Heymann, filed a three-line notice of dismissal in court Monday.
The notice says the case is being dismissed because of Swartz's death. Such filings are routine when a defendant dies before trial.
Swartz was indicted in 2011 on 13 counts, including wire fraud and computer fraud. Prosecutors alleged he illegally gained access to millions of academic articles through the academic database JSTOR. His trial was scheduled to begin in April.
Swartz's family says his suicide was "the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach".
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
There's nothing more frustrating than being laden down with technology that's run out of battery.
The Prime Minister has dodged questions all week about whether New Zealanders are being snooped on by American digital spying programme PRISM.
The flimsy helium-filled inflatables beam the internet down to Earth as they sail past on the wind.
An influential committee of British lawmakers accused search company Google of dodging its taxes on Thursday in a scathing report.
Mega personality Kim Dotcom has released previously unseen footage from the raids on his Coatesville mansion.
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.