Hit and run charges dropped
Mon, 09 Jul 2012 7:56a.m.
Police have withdrawn charges against a driver accused of a fatal hit-and-run in Waikato earlier this year.
William Hoskins, from Hastings, was run over about 4.30am on January 15, on State Highway 1B near Cambridge, about 150m from the venue of his cousin's wedding.
The 26-year-old was still alive when found by a passing motorist but died shortly after emergency services arrived.
David Gregory Mascelle, 47, was charged with careless driving causing death, however, police have now withdrawn the charge.
Superintendent Win van der Velde said the investigation into the death of Mr Hoskins had been extensive.
However, he said there wasn't sufficient evidence to successfully prosecute the driver involved.
"Police know this news is upsetting to the family and friends of Mr Hoskins and investigators communicated the legal decision to the family early this week," Supt van der Velde said.
Police will continue to be involved in the investigation on behalf of the coroner.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
All 350 passengers on board a commuter train that derailed e...
Now police in one city have reported dramatic results, slash...
Tourists in Christchurch are being kicked out of the interna...
A man is dead and a woman is critically injured after an inc...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.