Hobbit announcement expected by Friday
Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:42a.m.
Sir Peter Jackson met with Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee this morning to discuss the future of his Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit.
Sir Peter, accompanied by his wife Fran Walsh, talked with Mr Brownlee in a closed meeting inside the Minister’s office.
3 News understands an announcement on the film will be made by the end of the week.
The future of The Hobbit has been thrown into disarray following a highly-publicised spat between Mr Jackson and an Australian actors union.
The stoush erupted when the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA), asked actors to boycott filming of The Hobbit until a standard employment agreement was reached.
The union was concerned actors on the film were being employed on inferior non-union contracts.
In response to the union pressure, Sir Peter threatened to take filming of The Hobbit overseas to Europe.
Co-producer and co-writer for The Hobbit, Phillipa Boyens, told Radio New Zealand this morning that several countries were currently vying for the film.
"Get this, Australia, [are] making a huge play for this production," Ms Boyens told Radio NZ.
Ms Boyens said filming was due to begin in January, but has now been delayed by the actors’ stoush.
"It's not a game because right bow, in America, Warner Brother's studios are running the numbers on five to six different locations. That's very real - and that has put at risk the livelihoods of countless thousands of New Zealand industry workers," Mr Boyens says.
Prime Minister John Key said this morning on TV One’s Breakfast that he was confident progress had been made between the two parties.
He said the Government was more then happy to facilitate talks and expressed concern over the movie moving overseas.
"I would be greatly concerned if the The Hobbit movies weren't made in New Zealand, this a $3 billion industry, it employs a lot of people, it's great for New Zealand it's a great way for marketing New Zealand. If you can't make The Hobbit here frankly what movies are you going to make here?"
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
8/10/2010 7:25:22 p.m.
NZ Actors equity haven't even seen a contract and are therefore actioning this with NO information and or background.
5/10/2010 11:52:13 a.m.
If negotiations fail,I say they move production to British Columbia.There are plenty of places in the BC interior and Vancouver Island that would be perfect for the film.If they can come to an agreement great, and id be happy for them . However there has to be a contingency plan just in case it goes badly.
5/10/2010 6:49:54 a.m.
Gandalf's Beard wrote:
Peter Jackson is the biggest Kiwi director on the planet. If anyone has the muscle to lobby the NZ parliament for a change in the law that would allow Kiwi actors parity with the same collective bargaining rights as their Hollywood counterparts, it's Jackson.
That's why NZ actors chose The Hobbit movies to make their protest on. I see no reason that a compromise can't be reached, in which Jackson promises to lobby on behalf of the Union for changes in NZ's laws.
4/10/2010 7:59:39 p.m.
It's not that easy katrina, a contract is a violation of New Zealand law, and therefore they are not allowed to "just get a contract" or else they'll just get a lawsuit
4/10/2010 4:56:57 p.m.
Heard the interview with Phillipa Boyens this morning on National Radio. Its not up to Peter J. to negotiate on contracts with actors or technical people its up to Warner Bros. Company 3 foot 6? as the employer. Peter Jackson is just the producer director and had to lobby to have The Hobbit produced here even though it could be done cheaper elsewhere. Some of the previous published quotes from actors seem to be focused on how much money Peter made from the previous movies rather than the facts of employment law in NZ. If we dont watch out it will be made in Australia, Scotland, Ireland or Eastern Europe by someone else who wont employ NZ actors.
4/10/2010 3:03:14 p.m.
What is so hard, just get a contract!!
4/10/2010 1:21:57 p.m.
Te Rina wrote:
Ah so now the truth comes out the bloody Ozzies want The Hobbit for themselves. If it had been an Ozzie producer/director I bet they wouldn't have tried to place a ban on The Hobbit. All I have to say to this is kiwi kiwi kiwi oi oi oi.
Butt out Australia keep your mitts off The Hobbit.
After a night of drama on The X Factor NZ stage, Anna Wilson sat down with 3 News to talk about her time on the show.
Last night on The X Factor NZ, Stan Walker farewelled the last of his acts when Anna Wilson was voted off by the other three judges.
James Gandolfini, the actor most famous for his lead role in hit TV show The Sopranos, has passed away in Italy. He was 51.
King Kong has once again taken up residence on stage – and in spectacular fashion.
Charles Saatchi has claimed images of him holding Nigella Lawson around the neck just show "a playful tiff".
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.