Kiwi House explosion heard 1km away
Thu, 09 Aug 2012 6:03p.m.
By Jeff Hampton
The future of the social hot spot for Kiwis during the London Olympics is in doubt, after a dramatic gas explosion.
The big bang at Kiwi House was heard more than a kilometre away at the King's Cross tube station.
Kiwi House is one of London's hottest venues, and it literally became that when the outdoor barbecue area exploded in flames.
The popular outdoor kitchen, with meals by celebrity chef Peter Gordon, disintegrated as flames from an outdoor oven spread to the native shrubs and trees decorating the area.
The fire drill practised last week paid off as almost 300 guests and staff were evacuated from the building. Soon afterwards a propane gas cylinder used for barbecuing exploded, startling Londoners up to a kilometre away with one of the biggest bangs of the Olympics.
It could have been much worse – three other cylinders nearby were kept stable after fire-fighters cooled them with water.
The venue is one of London’s most popular Olympic party houses, with queues hundreds of metres long.
Medallists meet fans there, the beer and food are good, and the televisions focus only on Kiwis.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
New Zealand free skiier Rose Battersby still has aspirations of competing at nex...
Olympic champion Mahe Drysdale has one more thing on his to do list before he re...
Select your blogger
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.