Man admits sex offending charges
Tue, 03 Jul 2012 1:51p.m.
A Nelson man who admitted 35 serious sexual offending charges is likely to be sentenced to preventive detention.
William Herbert Mortensen, 53, pleaded guilty to the charges in Nelson District Court yesterday.
He was convicted and remanded in custody, with his case transferred from the District Court to the High Court for sentencing on September 25, the Nelson Mail reports.
Mortensen was facing 130 charges of sexual offending, including 107 charges of either making, possessing or supplying objectionable publications.
The Crown previously said Mortensen's offending had come to the attention of the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Judge Tom Broadmore said he was satisfied Mortensen would likely be sentenced to preventive detention and ordered a psychiatric report, including input by two psychiatrists, and a report on emotional harm to Mortensen's victims.
Detective Senior Sergeant Craig Johnston said he was pleased Mortensen had admitted the charges, because it means his young victims won't have to go through a trial.
"We can get closure for them so they can move on," he said.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
Two waterspouts have been spotted over Auckland this afterno...
Video has emerged of a skydiving incident in Motueka last ye...
Once again Campbell Live has a very powerful caravan of opin...
Only a handful of skydivers have survived what happened to L...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.