Martin reprimanded for banned substance
Sat, 11 Aug 2012 4:44p.m.
Decorated New Zealand Paralympics athlete Peter Martin has been cleared to compete at the London Games despite testing positive for a banned substance.
Four-time gold medallist Martin, 50, was reprimanded by the Sports Tribunal of New Zealand which deemed he had inadvertently taken probenecid, which was found in his system in an out-of-competition test last month.
The Waikato track and field athlete is one of 26 New Zealand athletes selected for the Games which begin in London on August 29. He will compete in shot put and javelin.
Martin admitted the violation but gave evidence that it was inadvertent as a result of medical treatment.
A doctor had diagnosed an infected arm as cellulitis and in evidence said probenecid had been prescribed as an essential treatment for what is a potentially life-threatening condition.
Martin said he had told the doctor he was a Paralympic athlete and was subject to drug testing so couldn't take a prohibited substance. However, he and the doctor were unaware probenecid was on the banned list.
In a statement, the tribunal noted Martin had the option at the time of requesting a "therapeutic use exemption" but had failed to do so.
The tribunal ruled Martin's actions were those "of a very sick man" and imposed the minimum penalty of a reprimand.
Martin has won seven Paralympic medals - including four gold - in field throwing events at Games in 1996, 2000 and 2004.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
New Zealand free skiier Rose Battersby still has aspirations of competing at nex...
Olympic champion Mahe Drysdale has one more thing on his to do list before he re...
Select your blogger
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.