Monster denies its drink is deadly
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 6:21a.m.
Concern is growing around energy drinks following the death of a 14-year old American girl from what her parents are claiming was caffeine toxicity, with five deaths now linked to the beverage.
The Maryland teenager drank two of the 'Monster' energy drinks before she died after an irregular heartbeat.
An autopsy concluded she died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity. She had an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels.
Editor-in-chief of Consumer NZ David Knowles says there's no maximum caffeine level.
"We looked at shots, because they're much more concentrated and were quite a popular thing at the time – we were concerned that there's not a maximum level set for those."
Mr Knowles would like to see the shots regulated.
But according to Food Standards Australia New Zealand, the maximum amount of caffeine allowed in a 500ml beverage here is 160mg. In New Zealand, Monster drinks reach that limit, and the US drinks have a similar amount, according to energyfiend.com.
Executive director of the Juice and Beverage Association, Kerry Tyack, says New Zealand has tight regulations that prevent dangerous products being sold here.
"There are extensive regulations that come under the constituent ingredients in the drink and in labelling claims that are made around all products, and energy drinks fall into those categories."
Monster denies their product is responsible for any of the deaths.
The US Food and Drug Administration says it's investigating the five deaths, and another report of a non-fatal heart attack.
RadioLIVE / AP / 3 News
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
27/10/2012 5:37:45 p.m.
Energy drinks mainly used by the athletes when they used a lot of energies in sports or for the hard working people where Maryland may have had drank over the amount for her system to react in such way and the five other death link that may had the same effect caused by ellergies or a blood disorder that weaken their blood cells.
The MONSTER ENERGY are mixed accordily with the rules and regulation of its products so its impossible to blame the company for the death of the younsters without a proper investgation to how they die.
24/10/2012 10:05:19 p.m.
I was in hospital last year with an arrhythmia after drinking one too many Red Bulls. having to be cardio converted was a wake up call for a 28 year old for drinking energy drinks and alcohol - they're equally as damaging.
24/10/2012 12:20:20 p.m.
I knew something would come up eventually about these power drinks. I know a few people who can't go a day without them now because their bodies are so addicted to the boost they get. In the long run its up there with alcohol,drugs and smoking and health issues will become more obvious as time goes by and more people have bad effects from them. Everything in moderation is the key.
24/10/2012 10:49:00 a.m.
John Davis wrote:
Whats to stop them from drinking more energy drinks and getting the same result? this all seems kind of pointless, kids being kids so long as they have the money they will just consume more to get the result they want.
More than 50 New Zealanders die of asthma every year – about...
A visiting researcher says New Zealand needs to do more to h...
Cadbury is changing the shape and the size of its Dairy Milk...
A 15-year-old school student has developed a new test that c...
Tourists in Christchurch are being kicked out of the interna...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.