More aid for the Philippines announced
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 5:49p.m.
New Zealand is giving the Philippines an additional $1.5 million to help it recover from Typhoon Bopha.
The typhoon hit the Philippines two weeks ago and Foreign Minister Murray McCully says the death toll stands at 1050 with 838 people still missing.
"Bopha affected 6.2 million people in 34 provinces, destroying thousands of homes and livelihoods," he said on Friday.
"New Zealand will be making an additional $1.5 million available to support relief and early recovery efforts, taking our support so far to $2m."
The government earlier provided $500,000 to the International Red Cross for essential relief items.
Earlier on Friday Mr McCully announced more emergency supplies were on the way to Samoa and Fiji, which were ravaged by Hurricane Evan.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
Viewers overwhelming voted yes to decriminalising soft drugs during TV3's nation...
A petition boasting more than 37,000 signatures against the use of animal testin...
A report by New Zealand's police watchdog into the Urewera terror raids has foun...
Calls are growing for the Auckland Council to rethink its plans for more intensi...
Govt officials now admit they don't actually know why China is blocking New Zeal...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.