By Ed Jackson
Multiple Bathurst-winning V8 Supercar driver Greg Murphy says he has given up pursuing a full-time drive for 2013.
Murphy, 40, had been looking for a new team to join after Kelly Racing announced the veteran New Zealander wouldn't be part of their Nissan-bound operation next year.
A long-time ambassador for Holden, Murphy said he'd considered switching manufacturers but, in the end, he's opted to try to find an endurance drive for next year's events at Sandown and Mount Panorama.
The four-time Bathurst winner, who spent six months sidelined during this year's championship after back surgery, says he's not retiring from full-time racing and feels he still has plenty to offer as a driver.
"The facts are that the right full-time Holden seat has not appeared for me despite some encouraging discussions along the way," Murphy said on Friday.
"I know I'm still capable of being very competitive as a full-time racer but am comfortable to turn my attention to the right endurance seat for Sandown and Bathurst next year.
"I'm certainly not retiring from the main game. Bathurst and Sandown have been very kind to me over the years and, with the right enduro seat in 2013, I have no doubt that I will be able to show pit lane and the fans alike, that I still have what it takes to be competitive as a full-time racer."
Murphy made his full-time debut for the Holden Racing Team in 1997 and has competed in 15 seasons of V8 Supercars, finishing as series runner-up in 2002 and 2003.
Apart from his potential endurance drives, Murphy is also going to retain his seat in the Mike Pero Racing Commodore for next year's V8 SuperTourers championship in New Zealand.