Thu, 31 Jul
° °
  • Firstline - TV3 New Zealand

    Firstline

    Weekdays 6am

  • 3 News - TV3 New Zealand

    3 News

    Nightly 6PM

  • Campbell Live - TV3 New Zealand

    Campbell Live

    Weekdays 7.00pm

  • 3rd Degree - TV3 New Zealand

    3rd Degree

    WEDNESDAYS 8.40PM

  • The Paul Henry Show - TV3 New Zealand

    The Paul Henry Show

    Weekdays 10.30pm

  • Three 60 - TV3 New Zealand

    Three 60

    Sundays 9.30am

  • The Nation - TV3 New Zealand

    The Nation

    Sat 9:30am / Sun 10am

Goldsmith says unauthorised billboards a stunt

Wednesday 16 Nov 2011 10:54a.m.

Goldsmith says unauthorised billboards a stunt

While most election candidates are looking to maximise publicity, National's Epsom candidate Paul Goldsmith has been photographed removing signs advertising his candidacy.

National's counting on ACT's John Banks winning Epsom, to ensure the minor party's return to parliament as a Government supporter.

3 News contacted Paul Goldsmith today and he blamed the signs on the opposition.

"It's silly games by my opponent. I don't really want to dignify it with a response," he said.

The Epsom candidate said the signs, made by blowing up his business card, were unauthorised and he was legally obliged to remove them. He believes someone was waiting to take the photo.

 

 

Prime Minister John Key had a symbolic cup of tea with Mr Banks last week, in a signal to voters of who they should choose.

But Mr Goldsmith's been polling ahead of Mr Banks, despite saying he wants party votes only, as voters apparently reject the stitch-up for their electorate.

Photos on the left-wing blog The Standard show Mr Goldsmith pulling the hoardings bearing his face and name out of a piece of grass and packing them into his vehicle.

The blog says the signs are "apparently unofficial", as they appear to be printed on paper.

"It's almost as if he doesn't want to get elected!" the blog says.

• Live updates from the election campaign – click here

NZN

 
comments powered by Disqus