Norway PM apologizes for flawed massacre response
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:36p.m.
Norway's prime minister has apologized in Parliament for flaws in the response to last year's bomb and gun rampage by a right-wing extremist who killed 77 people.
Jens Stoltenberg also announced the establishment of a new emergency center, better cooperation between rescue teams and the quicker flow of information during crises.
A government-appointed commission's report earlier exposed shortcomings in Norway's terror preparedness and blunders in police rescue operations saying a quicker response from them could have saved lives.
Speaking to lawmakers Tuesday, Stoltenberg listed the main conclusions of the report and said: "For this I apologize."
Last week, Anders Behring Breivik was convicted of terror for the attacks and sentenced to a 21-year prison term that can be extended for as long as he's considered a menace to society.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
A series of scandals is threatening to derail US president Barack Obama's second...
The United States' Obama administration denounced Russia on Friday for providing...
A former politician says that police brutality in South Africa is as bad now as ...
A senior Australian politician has fallen foul of social media. ...
Police in Rio de Janiero have been forced to admit to using excessive force afte...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.