Family offered hotel before poisoning
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 6:41a.m.
A power company failed to connect electricity to a home in which five people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.
Two children, aged nine and 14, were among five people admitted to hospital on Monday morning after a west Auckland home filled with fumes from a petrol generator being used inside.
The group was found semi-conscious by emergency services.
Powershop chief executive Ari Sargent said the family had requested that power be connected to the home before they moved in on Friday.
However, an administration oversight meant that did not happen, Radio New Zealand reports.
Mr Sargent said staff raced around to find an available certified contractor to connect the home, but it was not possible.
The company offered to put the family up in a hotel or motel, but they chose not to take this up, he said.
The five people were taken to North Shore and Waitakere hospitals and were understood to be in a stable condition.
Fire Service spokeswoman Nicole Bernard said they were "sick and vomiting" when ambulance staff arrived.
Auckland Council's building control manager, Ian McCormick, says they were within their rights to be there.
"You don't need a code of compliance certificate to live in a house," he says.
"From our perspective, it's all around safety. We'll get involved if we believe that the living conditions are either dangerous or unsanitary.
"To a certain point, it's up to an individual to make their mind up whether a building is fit to move into."
3 News / RadioLIVE / NZN
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
28/11/2012 1:48:08 p.m.
How ridiculous is this situation. I really hope Powershop DONT get the flack for this. What kind of person doesn't know that running a petrol motor in a contained area , with limited ventilation is going to be harmful.
The parents need to be questioned on this not Powershop: they did after all offer to put them up in a hotel
27/11/2012 5:58:58 p.m.
If you don't need a compliance to live in your house, then why do we wait sooooooo long for inspectors to do there job. and why are they doing the job if they aren't backed up by the law or bylaw
27/11/2012 4:32:18 p.m.
What I don't understand is, why did they not take up the offer to stay in a hotel were there was running electricity?
I agree, who would run a generator inside? Some people need to be more educated on things before using them..
In the end its their own faults for what happened to them, they refused the hotel
27/11/2012 12:11:34 p.m.
that's the first thing I thought as well, riza. the noise must have been deafening, if nothing else
27/11/2012 10:47:55 a.m.
We'll get involved if we believe that the living conditions are either dangerous or insanity (sic)"
Was that a freudian slip or do you need to correct the spelling mistake?
To RIZA - it was in the garage - which has internal access to the house - probably the biggest mistakes were the door to the house and no open windows
27/11/2012 10:47:30 a.m.
Yup not the best of ideas even outside with open windows/doors. Not many more details. If it was an admin error how many times did they contact the power company?
27/11/2012 10:02:16 a.m.
i am a bit stunned that some would run a petrol driven device inside. They are very lucky to walk away from this one alive.
27/11/2012 9:32:04 a.m.
running a generator inside is really dangerous, the powercompany cannot be held responcible for such a poor decision by these adults...mayb next time they might invest extension lead and multi box. i thought it was common knowledge, co1 was toxic...
27/11/2012 8:06:57 a.m.
Who runs a petrol generator inside a house?
Now police in one city have reported dramatic results, slash...
Tourists in Christchurch are being kicked out of the interna...
A man is dead and a woman is critically injured after an inc...
The opening of an international racetrack in Cromwell has he...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.