Saudi govt calls Christchurch students
Tue, 07 Sep 2010 6:38p.m.
By Dan Parker
The Government of Saudi Arabia has evacuated all of its foreign students living in Christchurch.
Hundreds have been bussed out of the city today and their final destination is yet to be decided.
Over 400 Saudi students were in a rush to get out of the city this morning; but they are just happy to be leaving.
“They are all very afraid, shocking. It's really horrible,” says Saudi Students’ Club President Anis Saydayo.
The call to evacuate all students from Christchurch was made by the Saudi Arabian Government; it is meeting all costs for travel and accommodation.
“Fortunately the Government will take care of all the Saudi students so at that time we will be there and we can decide whether they will stay,” Mr Sadayo says.
Either Kaikoura, Hamner or Nelson may become a temporary home but many of the students just want to return to the Middle East.
“Of course because I'm home sick and miss my family,” says student Nawaf Almalik.
Nawaf says home is the preferred option because there the ground doesn't move on its own.
“First time I have had an earthquake in here and all my life,” he says. “In my country there hasn't been an earthquake, nothing.”
But despite the frayed nerves and frightened students, they know it was a lucky escape for everyone.
“God he loves New Zealand because nobody died,” says student Abdirisak Abshir.
While the students maybe gone the Islamic centre is still being used as a temporary shelter by the Muslim community for those unable to return to their homes.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
8/09/2010 10:50:27 p.m.
They are like because they have very good government.
8/09/2010 3:16:52 p.m.
University of Canterbury wrote:
Not quite a call to evacuate. The Saudi Students’ Club President Anis Saydayo has told us today that Saudi students who live in homestays in Chch had been contacting him about their concerns post earthquake. Many of them were in homes where there were prolonged power/water cuts. On behalf of his students he sought advice/assistance from the Saudi Ambassador in Australia who said the students could leave Chch for as long as the university was closed. He says the Consulate has funded travel/accommodation for 600 students who have been split between Hanmer Springs and Kaikoura. At this stage they intend to return to Chch on Sunday to be back at uni on Monday.
8/09/2010 6:14:36 a.m.
Hope everyone in all over the world will be save specific in NZ. no one died this is pretty good <3 wish all the best for everone.
Eventing legend Sir Mark Todd was one of a number of sports ...
Now police in one city have reported dramatic results, slash...
Tourists in Christchurch are being kicked out of the interna...
A man is dead and a woman is critically injured after an inc...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.