Soldier dead after Military Camp siege
Fri, 05 Oct 2012 2:51p.m.
By 3 News online staff
Police have revealed the soldier who barricaded himself inside a house at Linton Military Camp has died.
It was earlier reported the 23-year-old man had been apprehended but police have since announced his death at a press conference this afternoon. No one else is being sought in connection to his death.
The armed offenders squad stormed the house at around 2pm after firing tear gas canisters and found the man deceased inside.
They say no other shots were fired other than the shot which prompted the callout to the camp at around 10:30am.
Police are yet to release the man’s name and military rank and say it is not known if the firearm was military issue or a personal.
Central District Police manager of operations Inspector Dave White says all attempts to contact the man received no response.
“We are saddened that this has ended in tragedy and our sympathies are with his family at this difficult time,” Mr White says.
Police revealed this morning the man had been escorted home from town at 1am by colleagues and taken back to his house at the camp.
He would not comment on why the man was taken home but it is understood alcohol was involved.
The road to the base has been blocked off since this morning and an ambulance is at the scene.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
6/10/2012 6:33:22 a.m.
Kia Kaha all family and friends of this young man. The New Zealand Army have had it very hard of late and this young man (brother) is another victim. Please respect the privacy of his family and friends; let them grieve in peace. I an not sure what regiment he was attached to but to them - Kia Kaha and look after one another.
5/10/2012 10:48:45 p.m.
That is sad
5/10/2012 9:23:06 p.m.
Robert W wrote:
I'm an old soldier, this is very sad for me, wish i had been there to talk to this young man. I cant help but ask, he must have been depressed somewhat, the previous night, didnt his mates pick up on this. Poor guy, i hate it when we lose one of our own, and its worse when it happens like this.He's only old enough to be my grandson and i was probably in his regiment years ago when i was his age. 1RNZIR.I feel this. Lest We Forget.
Godbless New Zealand
5/10/2012 8:10:11 p.m.
It's a pity for him to leave so young.
5/10/2012 7:10:22 p.m.
Doug Agnew wrote:
RIP young man, standdown.
5/10/2012 6:42:52 p.m.
Mate Tangitu wrote:
I support what you are saying Karen - these men go through so much....condolences and sympathy go out to his whanau and his colleagues at Linton Base.
5/10/2012 6:38:56 p.m.
Brad Martin wrote:
Navy Senior Rate, Devonport Naval Base
I can honestly say on behalf of the RNZN we are deeply saddened by this, even though we are rivals on the footy field we are brothers in arms in conflict and grief we unite at times like this. New Zealand Military have had a bad run of late and it affects us deeply and also our families when we lose a brother/sister.
Thought are with you Linton and fellow soldiers
5/10/2012 6:22:49 p.m.
Another Dead Kiwi wrote:
Yet another Kiwi dies after police action. Police chase drivers to death in new V8 SS Commodores my taxes paid for, they shot a courier driver with my taxes paying their wages. I'm going to stop paying taxes to stop these deaths.
5/10/2012 5:44:44 p.m.
Sharyn read the article properly!. How is he going to ask for help if he is already deceased? Sheesh!
No one knows whats happened here yet but am sure that the family will be grateful for any support offered in this horrible tragedy. My thoughts are with all family and friends.
5/10/2012 5:12:34 p.m.
If the only shot was the one that killed him, it was not a seige or standoff.
On the June 6, after rugby training, someone hit Stephen Dud...
New Zealanders are today bracing for a polar blast which wil...
New Zealanders are preparing for the worst as an oncoming po...
ACC levies have gone down under this government, but at what...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.