Suspended doctor tried to get surgeon job
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 9:14p.m.
Obstetrician Roman Hasil, who left New Zealand in 2006 after a series of botched sterilisations at Whanganui Hospital, has tried to gain work as a surgeon at a Sydney hospital.
The suspended obstetrician who suffered a brain injury has also been accused of insulting patients.
Czech-trained Roman Hasil failed to appear on Wednesday during NSW Medical Tribunal proceedings that could see him struck off.
New evidence tendered to the tribunal alleges he rang The Sydney Private Hospital on June 21, offering himself for work.
He allegedly spoke to Peter Dess, then head of nursing at the hospital, which specialises in gynaecological surgery.
"He said that he was available to do a large amount of surgical work," Mr Dess said in a statement to the Health Care Complaints Commission, which brought the case against Hasil.
In February, the tribunal found Hasil's behaviour, which included drink-driving offences and downing a six-pack of beer in a hospital car park, did not make him unfit to practise medicine.
But the 57-year-old could still be struck off because of a brain injury.
Hasil has already been suspended and deregistered in NSW for not paying his medical board fees.
After working in Whanganui from 2005 to 2006, the Health and Disability Commissioner found Hasil botched eight of 32 sterilisations, took the ovaries of a woman without her knowledge and drank alcohol on the job.
Apart from New Zealand, he has also worked in Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria and NSW - in most cases left workplaces in controversial circumstances.
The NSW tribunal found in February that many of the allegedly rude comments he made to 15 patients while he worked at Lismore Base Hospital between 2001 and 2005 could not be substantiated.
The comments allegedly included "horse woman", "whore" and "slut".
He is also alleged to have told one patient in advanced labour "... you have just given birth to a family of haemorrhoids".
Hasil suffered a head injury in 2009 that required brain surgery.
The tribunal agreed in February that he had suffered an impairment that would affect his ability as a medical practitioner.
On Wednesday, the tribunal rescheduled the hearing into Hasil's future as a doctor to October 17.
If he fails to attend, the hearing will proceed without him.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
At least 20 children are among the more than 90 reported dead so far in Moore, O...
Murray McCully has offered to send NZ soldiers to the Middle East if there's an ...
New Zealand's Mt Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary has been labelled as a 'gr...
Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy says New Zealand meat stalled at Chinese ...
More than 90 people have been killed and dozens of children remain missing after...
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.