What you can buy for one Apple share
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:54a.m.
Apple is the world's most valuable company, ever. On Monday, its surging stock propelled the company's value to US$624 billion, beating the previous record for market capitalization set by Microsoft in the heady days of the Internet boom.
After a four-month dip, Apple's stock hit new highs recently because of optimism around what is believed to be the impending launch of the iPhone 5, and possibly a smaller, cheaper iPad. Apple has been the world's most valuable company since the end of last year, when it surpassed Exxon Mobil.
Apple's stock closed at $665.15 on Monday. That was an all-time high, up $17.04, or 2.6 percent, from Friday's close. If that seems to pricey for one share of Apple, here are five other ways you can spend $665:
- A Steve Jobs-themed gift set: A St Croix black mock turtleneck ($185), a pair of dark stonewash Levi's 501 jeans ($48), a pair of grey New Balance 991 running shoes ($150), a 16 GB iPhone 4S ($199 with wireless service plan) and The Beatles Anthology Box Set ($80 on iTunes). Total: $662.
- Fourteen cases of McIntosh apples (more than 1,040 pieces of fresh fruit) home-delivered from Fresh Direct. $650.
- Two premium orchestra seats for Tony-award-winning Broadway musical The Book of Mormon, plus refreshments during intermission. About $650.
- One pair of Jimmy Choo apple-red patent-leather peep-toe pumps. $665.
- Twenty-one shares of Microsoft stock. $645.54, at Monday's closing price.
- Three BlackBerry PlayBook 7-inch tablets, once positioned by Research in Motion, as alternative to iPad. About $606 through Amazon.com.
One item you won't be able to purchase: the original Apple I computer. Though it carried a sticker price of $666.66 in 1976, it sold for $374,500 at a Sotheby's auction in June.
Post a Comment
Before commenting, please take the time to read our moderation guide
(Won't be published)
21/08/2012 11:18:07 a.m.
1/3 oz of Gold and next year 1/1000 of an Oz of Gold.
Upcoming EA Sports titles will be powered by Ignite, a new game engine showcased at the Xbox One reveal event.
A look at the two player co-op mode offered in Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist.
The official Call of Duty: Ghosts reveal trailer, debuted at the Xbox One announcement event.
Microsoft will adapt its flagship Xbox shooter franchise Halo into a live-action TV series executively produced by Steven Spielberg.
Microsoft has unveiled the Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment console.
Copyright © 2013 MediaWorks TV. All Rights Reserved.