Charges laid after Wellington crash
A man is facing careless driving charges over a crash in Wellington that left a pregnant woman injured and killed her unborn baby.
Police have laid three careless driving charges against a 40-year-old male driver involved in the crash in the suburb of Newtown in June last year.
A 40-year-old female passenger who was 31 weeks pregnant, was injured in the crash.
The woman's unborn baby died after an emergency caesarean.
The driver of the other vehicle was also injured.
Detective Inspector Paul Basham says the decision to lay charges hasn't been taken lightly.
"Police have undertaken a through investigation which has been subjected to an independent legal review," he said.
"While this will be a difficult time for the family, police believe the matter should be put before the court for final determination."
The man is due to appear in Wellington District Court on Wednesday.