Lunchtime news wrap: Wednesday December 5, 2012
Embattled MP Brendan Horan is back at work, Dotcom sells his luxury cars and a photographer is under fire for failing to save a man stuck on subway tracks in New York. Here is your lunchtime news wrap – bite-sized updates of local and international news delivered fresh every afternoon.
Brendan Horan returns to work
Former NZ First MP Brendan Horan has returned to Parliament this morning, saying he has no intention of resigning. Mr Horan says he still has a mandate to be an MP, even though he was only brought into Parliament on NZ First’s party list. He continues to deny claims he misappropriated money from his later mother’s bank account to fund a gambling habit, saying NZ First leader Winston Peters has no proof.
Emily Longley’s killer to appeal conviction
Elliott Turner, who is serving a life sentence for killing his 17-year-old New Zealand girlfriend Emily Longley, has won the right to appeal his conviction. Turner, a self-confessed playboy, strangled Ms Longley during a violent argument at his Bournemouth home in May last year. Ms Longley’s father says he believes Turner will lose the appeal, which will be heard before three judges at the Court of Appeal in London.
Hobbit bodyguard escapes assault charge
The bodyguard who escorted Sir Peter Jackson on the red carpet at last week’s premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey failed a criminal history check and should not have been granted a security licence. Thomas Gilbert, who ejected a TV3 reporter from a costume party last week, was due to appear in court on an unrelated assault charge. But the charge was thrown out due to a lack of evidence.
Meanwhile, the first Hobbit reviews are out. It has received a mixed response but most reviewers agree that Martin Freeman was the right choice to play Bilbo Baggins.
- READ MORE: Samantha Hayes reviews The Hobbit
- READ MORE: A look at the main criticisms – do they ring true?
Dotcom sells luxury cars
Internet tycoon Kim Dotcom is selling a number of his luxury cars as costs mount in his ongoing legal battles. Three Mercedes-Benz cars, two Mini Coopers and a Toyota Hilux have already been sold while a Rolls-Royce Phantom and Mercedes-Benz CL63 are still on the market – the Phantom priced at a cool $399,900. Parts of what was supposed to be a “Merstang” (a Mercedes-Mustang hybrid) will also be auctioned off.
Photographer fails to save subway victim
The New York Post has been criticised for publishing a photo taken of a man about to be hit and killed by a subway train. Police say Ki-Suck Han was shoved onto the tracks by someone else and tried to climb to safety, but got stuck. They are speaking to a suspect, who was caught on security camera. The Post put the photo on its front page and claims the photographer was only trying to alert the train driver with his camera flash when he took the picture.
Odd bite: Royal baby a safe bet?
St James’ Palace has confirmed that Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, is “continuing to feel better” as she gets treatment for acute morning sickness in a private London hospital. Her pregnancy was only announced yesterday but already bookies are cashing in by taking bets on everything from the future monarch’s name, to whether it will be a Vogue cover model or professional soccer star before it ascends the throne.