° °
  • Firstline - TV3 New Zealand

    Firstline

    Weekdays 6am

  • 3 News - TV3 New Zealand

    3 News

    Nightly 6pm

  • Campbell Live - TV3 New Zealand

    Campbell Live

    Weekdays 7pm

  • 3rd Degree - TV3 New Zealand

    3rd Degree

    Wednesdays 8.30pm

  • The Paul Henry Show - TV3 New Zealand

    The Paul Henry Show

    Weekdays 10.30pm

  • Three 60 - TV3 New Zealand

    Three 60

    Sundays 9.30am

  • The Nation - TV3 New Zealand

    The Nation

    Sat 9:30am / Sun 10am

Mark Lundy granted bail

Friday 11 Oct 2013 2:25 p.m.

Family members of double murder-accused Mark Lundy are "over the moon" about that he will be released from prison after almost 13 years.

Lundy was granted bail at the Wellington High Court this afternoon.

His New Zealand-based lawyer Felix Geiringer made a bail application on his client's behalf. Lundy, 54, did not appear in person.

Nephew Steven Jones was "very happy" about the outcome and was hoping his uncle would be released from Tongariro/Rangipo Prison straight away, but there were still processes to be taken care of.

"[We're] just excited to see him outside the visiting room."

The past 12 years Lundy has been in prison have been "pretty tough, but we've always supported him –never wavered. So I'm glad today's come," he says.

Though Mr Jones lives in Wellington, he had visited Lundy a number of times in prison. He did not know what kind of celebration the family have planned, but did want to "give him a big hug" when he does eventually see him.

Among his bail conditions, Lundy must report to police once a week and is not to have contact with any of the witnesses from his previous trial.

The application follows the Privy Council on Monday quashing Lundy's convictions for killing his wife Christine and seven-year-old daughter Amber at their Palmerston North home in 2000.

He was granted leave to appeal his convictions to the Privy Council in February and the hearing was held over three days in June.

The Privy Council ordered the case be sent back to the High Court for a possible re-trial.

It said there were questions about the methods the Crown relied on to establish when Christine and Amber died and also evidence about the human tissue found on Lundy's shirt.

Mr Jones says the process to get to the Privy Council had been pretty hard.

"It's been a long time coming. Support for him hasn't been a problem for us."

Lundy has always maintained his innocence in the deaths and had previously tried and failed to get his convictions overturned in the Court of Appeal, which instead increased his sentence to a minimum of 20 years' imprisonment.

Earlier this week police checked Lundy's sister's home to see if it was suitable for a bail address.

3 News

Others Are Watching

comments powered by Disqus

Trending

>
;