° °
  • Firstline - TV3 New Zealand


    Weekdays 6am

  • 3 News - TV3 New Zealand

    3 News

    Nightly 6pm

  • Campbell Live - TV3 New Zealand

    Campbell Live

    Weekdays 7pm

  • 3rd Degree - TV3 New Zealand

    3rd Degree

    Wednesdays 8.30pm

  • The Paul Henry Show - TV3 New Zealand

    Paul Henry

    Starts 7th April

  • Three 60 - TV3 New Zealand

    Three 60

    Sundays 9.30am

  • The Nation - TV3 New Zealand

    The Nation

    Sat 9:30am / Sun 10am

Timaru accused remanded in custody after abduction case

Wednesday 21 Nov 2012 11:53 a.m.

Police say the man is known to the boy

Police say the man is known to the boy

By Kloe Palmer / 3 News online staff

A 26-year-old man entered no plea in the Timaru District Court today, after appearing on charges relating to the alleged abduction of a 9-year-old boy.

The man, who has identity suppression, was charged with injuring with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after the boy was found injured and distressed last Thursday afternoon.

He was remanded in custody until December 5th and a report his been ordered to assess whether he is fit to stand trial. 

A psychiatric assessment has also been ordered.


News of the arrest meant parents felt more at ease dropping their children off at Timaru's Oceanview Heights School this morning.

"Definitely relieved, it's pretty off-putting for the whole community when something like this happens," one parent told 3 News.

"It's just been so scary with the kids and bringing them to school, you don't know whether you should bring them to school or not," said another.

"As a parent of a younger child it's a definite relief that someone has been apprehended," agreed a third.

It's believed the nine-year-old boy left school at around 3pm on Thursday afternoon. He was found just over an hour later injured and distressed at Holme Station Bridge, a 20-minute drive out of Timaru.

Overnight police charged a 26-year-old man with wounding with intent to commit grievous bodily harm.

Police say the man is known to the boy.

"I can't give any real detail on the relationship with the young man, but it's pretty clear that the boy and the young man are known to each other," says Insp Dave Gaskin.

Over the past two days police have questioned the injured boy in hospital, but say public information has proved vital. The boy remains in hospital, but is said to recovering well.

3 News

Others Are Watching

comments powered by Disqus