At a Glance: Key points from Labour's monetary policy
Labour leader David Cunliffe (Simon Wong/3 News)
What Labour wants to do with the reserve bank:
- The Reserve Bank would be allowed to change the KiwiSaver rate to control inflation instead of solely raising interest rates
- KiwiSaver, as previously announced, would be universal
- The Reserve Bank's objective would be broadened beyond inflation and price stability so it could help achieve economic growth and job creation
- It would be allowed to use existing tools differently so that it could help exporters and home owners
- The Reserve Bank would continue to be independent.
- A capital gains tax would be introduced, as previously announced.