Cabinet to hold first meeting of 2013
Nick Smith (file)
Cabinet holds its first meeting of the year today with three new ministers at the table.
Nick Smith will be back, having served his time on the outside for an ACC conflict of interest issue which led to his resignation in March last year.
Auckland MP Nikki Kaye was promoted from the back bench in Tuesday's reshuffle and Simon Bridges has moved up from being a minister outside cabinet to take over the labour portfolio.
Two won't be there - Kate Wilkinson and Phil Heatley were sacked - and David Carter won't be in the Cabinet for much longer because he will be elected Parliament's new speaker on Tuesday.
Prime Minister John Key will take ministers through the Government's plans for the year and its legislative agenda.
He will wait until Friday, when he makes his state of the nation speech, to tell the country what those plans are.
Mr Key said at the weekend he wanted to move quickly on economic initiatives to create jobs because the unemployment level was unacceptable.
"We're going to have a sense of urgency about some of the things we're doing because we have to ensure New Zealanders have confidence that employment is moving forward," he said.