PM hits back over Dotcom claims
Prime Minister John Key
By Laura McQuillan
Prime Minister John Key has scoffed at Kim Dotcom's claims that he is lying about his knowledge of the internet entrepreneur.
Dotcom on Sunday told programme Q+A yesterday Mr Key knew of him before January 19 this year and would present evidence in court but would not elaborate.
Mr Key told reporters in Darwin that "to the best of my recollection" he first heard of Dotcom on January 19, the day before he was arrested for alleged internet piracy in a joint raid by New Zealand police and the FBI on his Coatesville mansion.
"My office has extensively looked at both the meetings I've held, the correspondence I've had, both in my electorate office and in my parliamentary office, and I've seen nothing to conflict that view.
"I have no doubt he'll try and draw one and one together and he'll get three, as he has in the past. This is a guy who publicly has made quite a few statements that have been proven to be incorrect," said Mr Key, who is on his way to the East Asia Summit in Cambodia.
Mr Key's office knew of Dotcom in July last year but he says they did not pass on the information to him.
Dotcom, who is facing extradition to the US on copyright charges he strenuously denies, is optimistic he can show the Government had an active role in the operation and the extradition process, and get the case against him thrown out.
But Mr Key disputed his allegation that the Government was more involved than it had let on.
"That's completely fanciful and not true."