Carter misses NZ Player of Year shortlist
All Blacks first-five Dan Carter (Photosport file)
All Blacks first five-eighth Dan Carter, named by the IRB last week as the world's best rugby player, has failed to make the shortlist for New Zealand's Player of the Year.
Instead, the three in the running for the accolade are Test skipper Richie McCaw, No.8 Kieran Read and centre Conrad Smith.
The winner will be announced in Auckland on Friday night.
New Zealand Rugby Awards nominations:
* Kel Tremain Memorial Player of the Year - Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Conrad Smith;
* Tom French Memorial Maori Player of the Year - Israel Dagg, Liam Messam, Aaron Smith;
* NZRU Women's Player of the Year - Rawinia Everitt, Fiao'o Fa'amausili, Selica Winiata;
* Super Rugby Player of the Year - Craig Clarke, Aaron Cruden, Conrad Smith;
* Richard Crawshaw Memorial Sevens Player of the Year - Tomasi Cama, Tim Mikkelson, Lote Raikabula;
* NZRU Age Grade Player of the Year - Jason Emery, Jordan Taufua, Ofa Tu'ungafasi;
* ITM Cup Player of the Year - Robbie Fruean, Tim Nanai-Williams, Charles Piutau;
* Heartland Championship Player of the Year - Ben Coman, Tau Moeke, Peter Rowe;
* Coach of the Year - Steve Hansen, Dave Rennie, Gordon Tietjens;
* Team of the Year - All Blacks, Canterbury, Chiefs.